Fall-related injuries are common among older adults and are a major cause of pain, disability, loss of independence, participation in the community and hospitalisation.Falls and the fear of falling can limit function, participation and freedom in the older adult impacting negatively upon their independence, health and quality of life.
Step Forward provides a falls prevention program conducted within the home and around the community. This program enables an older person with or without a history of falls to maintain their independence, and to reduce and avoid further falls. Many falls are easily preventable with a few modifications in the environment and in the way ageing people perform their activities.
The programme will include:
· Helping individuals to identify potential risks of falls in their home environment.
· Promoting safe methods to participate in activities of daily living incorporating energy conservation and safe mobility strategies
· Chair Yoga classes aiming to improve physical abilities, muscle strengthening, balance and coordination.
· And more…
You can choose the programme that suits you best:
– One-to-one with face-to-face initial assessment and follow-up sessions (Available also to couples living together or friends who wish to complete the programme together). This programme is also available on-line in the event you wish to avoid personal contact with the OT in the current climate. Duration: 6 sessions.
– On-line group-programme: a maximum of four participants will be included to allow personalised interaction. This programme is designed as a more accessible option and also to avoid personal contact. Duration: 6 sessions.
For details of the full programme and booking information contact Lorena.